REDISTRICTING CALIFORNIA COLLABORATIVE
Ensure equal and equitable political representation of residents.
The Redistricting California Collaborative is a collection of statewide and regional organizations working together to empower demographically and geographically underrepresented communities to fully participate in the Citizens Redistricting Commission’s redistricting process.
The Redistricting CA Collaborative is co-convened by Advancement Project CA and CA Common Cause.
Our goal is to ensure that communities, especially underrepresented communities, are informed and empowered to apply to be on the CA Citizens Redistricting Commission and be fully engaged in the district line-drawing process in order to ensure communities of interested are kept together.
The Redistricting California Collaborative is looking to:
Activate representatives across regions to engage residents
Empower residents to participate in the redistricting process
Build momentum and educate residents on what is at stake
We imagine a day where enacted public policies are responsive to the needs of low-income people of color and designed to create collective success. Whereby elected officials both represent and are responsive to their residents, especially those in the highest need. That district lines are determined by residents to enhance power at the local level and lift the voice of their communities.
Citizens Redistricting Commission application and selection process.
June 10, 2019 through August 15, 2020
District line-drawing process for congressional, state, and board of equalization seats.
roughly Spring 2021 through August 2021
Litigation to challenge final maps.
Aug 2021-Jan 2022
The Redistricting California Collaborative will:
- Bring together local community organizations that represent the geographic, racial, ethnic and socio-economic diversity of the state.
- Mobilize, inform, train, and support community members to apply for the Citizens Redistricting Commission and actively participate throughout the district line-drawing process.
- Share educational, outreach and communication tools and materials.
- Plan and coordinate community events across the state.
- Monitor and ensure the integrity of the redistricting process.
- Increase accessibility of data and mapping resources
Conversation with Commissioner Parvenu
CA State Auditor Partnership Event Presentation
Redistricting Collaborative Brochure